I was meeting with a fellow entrepreneur the other day and we were reviewing the highs and lows of working with people. I’ve always said that it doesn’t really matter what you are doing for a living, if the people are nice you can have fun, if they aren’t, it is going to involve some grief. My friend and I remembered the old saying, “Life would be easy if it weren’t for people”. After which he summarized it all by saying, “People are dumb”. Someone once gave me a bumper sticker that said, “Slap the stupid people”. I decided though, that I would be slapping myself way too much!
Ok, that is probably too broad of a brush, but the fact is, people, including us, sometimes act and live foolishly. As I was looking through Scripture on this topic, I found many verses that describe and contrast the behavior of foolish and wise people. One of the things that is so powerful about God’s Word is that it does in fact, contain valuable truths for effective living. If we heed the nuggets of wisdom found therein, our personal lives, our family lives, our church lives, and our work lives will all be better. Beyond that, we will be a fragrant aroma of Christ to the world around us. So, chew on these morsels of wisdom this morning.
- If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame. Prov. 18:13
- Sensible people keep their eyes glued on wisdom, but a fool’s eyes wander to the ends of the earth. Prov. 17:24
- Remember this, O Lord, how the enemy scoffs, and a foolish people reviles your name. Ps. 74:18
- Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm. Prov. 13:20
- A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Prov. 15:1
- Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly. Prov. 14:29
- Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the LORD, meditating on it day and night. Ps. 1:1-2
Don’t be part of the “People are Dumb” club this week.
Live this week on purpose,